Kudos #NIKE for breaking fashion barriers for women who have been breaking barriers for years.
McKinsey’s Women in the Workplace study 2016 for the facts on workforce discrepancies.
Feministabulous’s insta page for feminist inspo.
InHerSight, a Yelp-like platform so women can review their workplace.
Ellevest, for women who want to invest in their futures.
MIT’s free online classes on feminism and gender studies.
- Want to explore Queens next Saturday with a friend? Help recent immigrants prepare for their citizenship exams before embarking on your culinary adventure.
- Want to squeeze in a volunteer activity before work? Help elementary school students learn yoga in the East Village.
- Looking to mix up date night? Walk shelter pups in Williamsburg before trying that new poke spot.
These are actual upcoming volunteer activities that took less than 30 seconds to find thanks to NYCares’ search filters by location, time, and interests. All you have to do is attend a very brief orientation that teaches you the basics of volunteerism (be prompt! be respectful!) and sign up online.
Volunteering is a fantastic way to meet fellow volunteers and under-served populations. You will be inspired by incredible programs, you will learn new things, you will turn your phone off for a bit. AND IT IS FREE. Go forth.
Who spends A LOT of time skimming articles on “what awesome people do before 7am” but also hits snooze for 45 minutes and has to skip showering just to make it to work ten minutes late? Same. But a girl can dream. And I do dream of waking up on time, showering and drying my hair (fine, using dry ‘poo) by 7am to meet a friend at MOMA for the museum’s new quiet mornings. Browse MOMA’s exhibits without crowds, with quiet, and utilize the drop-in meditation space or the guided meditation sessions from 8:30 to 9:00 a.m., all before heading to work. This WILL get me on that list of “awesome people” dammit.
- What: art, meditation, productivity and inspiration before 9am
- When: first Wednesday of every month, 7:30-9am
- Where: MOMA (Museum of Modern Art), 11 W 53rd St between 5th and 6th avenues, Manhattan
- Price: adults $12, seniors $10, FT students with ID $8, FREE with NYC ID